Any interview is a critical step in getting a job. Think logically, those who present themselves in the best light during these interviews are more likely to get a job. Today, critical thinking gets extended to how to ‘look good’ on the phone.
A phone interview is essential. Preparation is key.
The big question: how do you implement the critical thinking to win the phone interview and move on to the in-person or Zoom round?
- When you have a phone interview, dress up. When you dress up nice, you impress yourself, and the good you feel is what interviewers will hear.
- You want the interviewing room picked up and clean because that plays to how you feel and how your voice sounds.
- No extraneous noises. No dogs barking or cats meowing. Put the pets in another room or outside.
- No spouses or kids in the room.
- Make sure no extraneous sound like the refrigerator opening or closing. No ding on the microwave.
- Whatever you do, NO bathroom sounds. In more than one after-action report, the person had the job right up until the interviewers heard the toilet’s flush. It is rude, and the interviewers hung up.
- Have a mirror in the room that you can look in and see your smile. Your interviewers hear the smile.
Remember, you can do this!